Want Some Quick Ways to Kick-Start Your Day, Release Stress, Feel Better, Stay Focused, Get More Done and Experience a More Meaningful Life?

Sign up now for my FREE EBook, 101 Simple Ways to Kick the Depression Habit & Get Happier Without Prozac! Even if you're not depressed, these simple reminders help you shed stress, get over your bad self and make good things happen in your life! Its companion Ezine, Your Guide to the Life You Love, comes at the right time, on a regular basis, with tools & tips, perspective shifts and Cool Mind Candy with that hopeful flavor. Try some today--sign up now!

Get Inspired.
Sign up Today!


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


My Hutchison High School Reunion!



Memphis is a huge romantic draw for folks from all over the world. Elvis the King, the mighty Mississippi, Beale Street & its blues, even Mud Island and "GonerFest" (which was happening this past weekend, unbeknownst to me until I sat on the plane next to an Aussie coming specifically for this music blast) all pull people to this lush green city that never seems to change. Sprinklers whoosh artesian well water over the perfectly manicured lawns of "Trust Fund Alley" depicted in the movie of John Grisham's book, The Firm.

Here I am with Mary Jehl Kenner, one of my best friends from Hutchison, now in a high powered communications position with FedEx. Back in 10th grade we'd watch Mary Tyler Moore every Friday night and plot how we'd model ourselves after this dynamic career woman. And we did!

(As a joke, on Friday night at the "girls only cocktail party" I wore my Hutch Glee Club gold corduroy jumper from junior & senior years...just because I still could! It had unearthed itself from a wardrobe & storage unit this summer. Gotta give my Memphis pals something to gossip about).



Although everyone thought I'd be the true renegade and lobby for smoking on campus when I headed student government, my focus then as now was natural beauty. The major legacy of my time there was convincing the school to move forward on landscaping the courtyard where we danced in May Day celebrations (how pagan!) Here's the result a few decades later-- a lush oasis.



I loved that school. The brilliant teachers and structured, supportive environment gave girls a chance to discover their strengths and grow into them. At the time, I was a Yankee interloper, fresh from Ohio entering 9th grade, and awed by the honest-to-goodness gothic flavor of the place. I'm so grateful to my parents for giving me that education--and all the great friendships that evolved.

As my high school biography stated, "Patty has fallen in love with our men, our English & history departments." All true. And so great to spend time with the "MUS Boys"--now the local titans of business & real estate, the roles their fathers and grandfathers held awhile back. Cotton may have started it all, but real estate development seems to be king these days.



Memphis artist Janet Smith with two of her three Brussels Griffons (Gunny & Wally) hosted me at her Justine Place home-- on the land where she used to keep her horse, Red. We'd run around those 10 acres where her parents, Justine & Dayton Smith, grew fresh vegetables & roses for Justine's, the first fine dining establishment in the Mid-South. Her home is the perfect gallery of her spectacular art. How I admire my artist friends, Janet Smith and Stephen Hudson, always stepping out on faith!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home